WordServe Church Study Guide for Nov 2, 2014
- Sermon Title: “Risk Taking as Sacrificial Worship” (Dr. Nolan Donald)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: Luke 8:40-56
- Additional Study Texts: Acts 9:1-16, Luke 18:18-25
– Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
– What’s the most risky thing you’ve ever done?
Read Acts 9:1-16, and Luke 18:18-25
– Where do you most identify with these characters (Ananias and the Rich Young Ruler)?
– Compare and contrast the motives of these two individuals. What drives them to risk/not risk?
– What other factors do you believe these two individuals take into account when deciding to risk/not risk?
– What’s at stake for these two individually? What’s at stake for the community in these two stories?
– Jesus says it is difficult for a “rich person to enter the Kingdom of God.” Does wealth affect our willingness to take risks for the Kingdom? If so, how?
– What are your main takeaways from these two stories?
Taking It Home
– What resonates most with you from Pat’s story (in the sermon)? Why does that resonate with you?
– How do you know if it’s God asking you to take a risk?
– See if you can come up with some criteria that will help you determine what risks are worth taking for God.
– Where is God asking you to take a risk right now?
– What’s holding you back?
– What would help you overcome these obstacles?
- Taking Risks, Charles Stanley via the Christian Post
- Risk Taking: Leaps of Faith, by Kristen Lockitski
- Knowing God in Times of Risk, by Bill Lawrence
Think being a Christian is risky where you live? Check out this story: