WordServe Church Study Guide for Nov 9, 2014
- Sermon Title: “The Power of Authentic Community” (Jim Herrington)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: Luke 10:25-27
- Additional Study Texts: Matthew 23:1-39, Acts 2:29-47
– As you reflect on Sunday’s message, what one principle or insight stands out as being particularly helpful, insightful, or difficult to grasp?
– What does “authenticity” mean to you when it comes to being together in a community?
Read Matthew 23:1-39
– Why do you think Jesus speaks so harshly to the Pharisees?
– What practices do you see that are NOT authentic? What might these practices look like in modern terms?
– What motivates the Pharisees in these practices?
– What is the result of the Pharisees’ style of community?
Read Acts 2:29-47
– What marks of authenticity do you see in the early church?
– What practices contribute to their authenticity? What might these practices look like in modern terms?
– What is the result of the early church’s style of community?
Taking It Home
– Does authenticity matter in a community? Why or why not?
– What would it take for your community to be more authentic?
– What would it take for you to be more authentic?
– What might be the results of living in an authentic community where you are today?
– What step will you take in the next week to lead a more authentic life in community?
- “Four Marks of Authentic Community” by Dr. Bill Donahue
- An interesting view on Christian Authenticity: “Keeping it Real: The Truth About Authenticity” by Megan Hill
- For Community Group leaders and members, just so you can see I’m not making stuff up, check out “Basic Strategies for Authentic Christian Community” by Diana Bennett
- Click here for more information about Faithwalking, and be sure to visit wordserve.org/faithwalking to sign up for Faithwalking 101 (or use this link to learn of a retreat near you!)
A Faithwalking story:
Want to hear more about Faithwalking from the co-founder, Jim Herrington?