WordServe Church Study Guide for Nov 16, 2014
- Sermon Title: “Elevating Others as God’s Masterpieces” (Dr. Nolan Donald)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: Matthew 25:31-46
- Additional Study Texts: John 13:1-17
– If you had to give an abbreviated version of Sunday’s message, what two points or ideas would you include no matter what?
– Describe the best example you’ve seen of someone who “elevates others.” What makes it the best?
Read John 13:1-17
– Using a study bible or other background information, describe what foot washing meant in the 1st century.
– What lesson is Jesus trying to convey to his Disciples?
– This foot-washing lesson happens literally in the last few hours that Jesus gets to spend with his Disciples. Why do you think Jesus does this as his last lesson?
– Examine the exchange between Peter and Jesus in John 13:6-8:
— Why does Peter resist?
— Why does Jesus say that unless Jesus washes Peter’s feet, Peter will have no share with him?
– Did Jesus’ lesson work with the Disciples? Why or why not?
– What is your biggest takeaway from this reading? Share with your group.
Taking It Home
– What about Fernando’s story resonates with you most?
– What would be a modern equivalent of the footwashing from a Disciple’s point of view (i.e., to have your feet washed)?
– What would the modern equivalent be from Jesus’ point of view (i.e., how would we wash someone’s feet today?)
– WordServe states this value as “Elevating others as God’s Masterpieces.” Does the idea that others are a masterpiece of God change how you view lifting up others? Explain.
— Do you still struggle with the idea of elevating others? Share your struggles with your group!
– How can you put this principle into practice this week?
A fun video that shows the ripple effects of lifting others up:
And, an interesting look at The Power of Encouragement!