WordServe Church Study Guide for Jan 11, 2015
- Sermon Title: “The Heart of Making Space” (Dr. Nolan Donald)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: Matthew 13:1-23
- Additional Study Texts: Matthew 15:1-20, Proverbs 4:20-23
– As you reflect on Sunday’s message, what one principle or insight stands out as being particularly helpful, insightful, or difficult to grasp?
– What does “the heart” mean to you?
Read Matthew 15:1-20
– How many examples of the Pharisee’s hypocrisy can you name?
– Is this hypocrisy tied to the Pharisee’s hearts? Explain your thoughts:
– What contributed to the Pharisee’s hearts being “far from God?” (See verses 8, 9 for starters)
– Do you agree or disagree that what we say comes out of our hearts? (v 18) Explain your position.
– Jesus says evil thoughts come from the heart (v 19). Can we change that? If so, how?
Read Proverbs 4:20-23
– What does the writer mean that “springs of life” (or “wellspring of life”) flow from the heart?
– How should we guard our hearts?
Taking It Home
– Describe a time when you noticed a change in your heart (for the better). What caused it?
— What kinds of things were you thinking about/doing?
— Are there common circumstances in your group?
— What can you learn from this shared experience?
– What kinds of things can we do today to guard our hearts?
– What will you commit to doing in 2015 to create a “healthy heart?”
- What is the Meaning of the Parable of the Sower? at gotquestions.org.
- Rebranding the Parable of the Sower, by Alice M. McKenzie
Want to see the parable?