WordServe Church Study Guide for Jan 18, 2015
- Sermon Title: “Faith on the Rocks” (Rev. Bill Hogan)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: Matthew 13:3-6, 20-21
- Additional Study Texts: John 12:37-43, John 6:26-40
– If you had to give an abbreviated version of Sunday’s message, what two points or ideas would you include no matter what?
– Can you describe a time where you witnessed someone’s faith “wither away?” What contributed to this?
Read John 12:37-43
– What obstacles to deep faith do you see here?
– What does it mean to understand with our hearts? (i.e., instead of our heads?) Why does this matter?
– What motives for not acknowledging Christ do you see?
– What are the ramifications of not acknowledging Christ?
Read John 6:26-40
(Context: this passage is shortly after the miraculous feeding of the 5,000: See John 6:1-15).
– What motive does Jesus give for those who have tracked him down?
– How might this contribute to a superficial faith?
– What alternative does Jesus suggest?
– What does this look like for us today?
Taking It Home
– See if you can list other examples where faith is shallow, either from the Bible or from your own experience.
— What caused the shallowness in your examples?
— How could the shallowness be fixed in your examples?
– What are the “rocks in your soil?” (i.e., what stands in the way of deeper roots in your faith life)?
– What can you do to begin changing the condition of your soil? (If you don’t know, share with a trusted friend/mentor).
– How can you group help you continue to improve the condition of your soil?
- The Danger of Superficial Faith, Bay Area Christian Church
- Superficial Faith, Sign #3, by Daniel Hill (Note, this link is to Part 3, he also has links to Parts 1 and 2 at the bottom of his post should you want more!)
- A Tale of Four Soils, Part 2, by yours truly!
And finally a video version even I can understand 🙂