WordServe Church Study Guide for Feb 8, 2015
- Sermon Title: “Buckets or Funnels?” (Rev. Bill Hogan)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: John 7:37-39
- Additional Study Texts: Psalm 1
– Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
– What spiritual comparisons can you draw between living like a bucket vs. a funnel?
Read Psalm 1
– How can one engage the world around them, yet not be drawn into the way of scoffers, etc.?
– What does the Psalmist mean to meditate on the Law of the Lord day and night? What does that look like?
– What is the purpose of this constant meditation?
– Focus on verse 3 for the next three questions:
— The Psalmist says these trees will bear fruit in their season. Does that mean there are times where we will not bear fruit? Explain your thinking.
— Why meditate on God’s law day and night if there might be times where we aren’t bearing fruit?
— What does the Psalmist mean by “prosper in all they do?” Does this mean bigger salaries, homes, and cars?
– What constitutes wickedness in this Psalm? How can we prevent being one of the wicked?
– Why do you think the Psalmist chooses the imagery of chaff to describe the wicked?
Taking It Home
– How would you respond to one who says, “I don’t have time for all that ‘God stuff!’” Discuss or role-play your response.
— Why should they consider incorporating God 24/7?
— How should they do that? (e.g., become a nun/monk? Or are there other alternatives?)
— What is ultimately at stake here for the individual? For the community?
– List some things that will help you and others around you resemble that well-watered tree in verse 3. Discuss how to help families, fellow workers, etc., do the same.
– How will you incorporate God more consistently in your day and night in 2015? Commit to one step today!
- Finding Jesus in the Feast of Tabernacles, by David Brickner
- The Conflict Intensifies at the Feast of Tabernacles, Biblegateway.com
- What did Jesus mean when He spoke of living water?, gotquestions.org
Want to see a little context around Sunday’s sermon?