WordServe Church Study Guide for April 5, 2015
- Sermon Title: “Living the Resurrection Life” (Dr. Nolan Donald)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: Mark 16:1-8
- Additional Study Texts: Mark 8:27-38 and Mark 9:1-10
– Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
– What does Jesus’ resurrection mean to you?
Read Mark 8:27-38
– Why did Peter react this way (verse 32)?
– Why did Jesus react as he did? (verse 33)?
– What if Jesus had listened to his disciples?
– What does Jesus’ reaction say about his sense of priorities?
– How did Jesus learn to stick so strongly to his priorities?
– What can we learn from Peter’s example? From Jesus’ example?
Read Mark 9:1-10
– Why did Jesus tell disciples not to tell anyone about his transfiguration until “after he was risen from the dead?
— What do you think would have happened if they had?
— What difference did it make to tell the story of the transfiguration after Jesus rose from the dead?
– Why do you think Jesus’ disciples were confused about what it meant to be risen from the dead (verse 10)?
Taking It Home
– Which Jesus do you find yourself looking for:
— The one on the cross
— The one in the tomb
— The living, risen one
– How does your approach to Jesus (above) affect your daily life?
– Why is it important that Jesus is living (i.e., not dead)?
– How would you explain Jesus’ resurrection to others?
– How would you defend Jesus’ resurrection to others?
– What holds you back from believing in Jesus’ resurrection? Discuss with your group!
– In your own words, summarize how a risen Jesus makes your life different… then share with someone!
- He is Risen! Take off the Grave Clothes, by Ron Edmondson
- What Does the Resurrection Mean for Us?, By Greg Laurie
- Is the Resurrection a Myth? by Hank Hanegraaff
- Is the Physical Resurrection of Jesus Important? by J.C. Ryle (an oldie but a goodie!)
So… what do you think? Did the Disciples lie about the Resurrection?