WordServe Church Study Guide for April 19, 2015
- Sermon Title: “Broccoli” (Dr. Brian Miller)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: John 20:19-31
- Additional Study Texts: Acts 5:12-42
– If you had to give an abbreviated version of Sunday’s message, what two points or ideas would you include no matter what?
– When it comes to faith, are you more likely to “Tell it on the Mountain” or hide it in a closet? Why?
Read John 20:19-31 and Acts 5:12-42
– Compare and contrast the mood and attitude of the disciples in these two passages:
– What factors contributed to the shift in moods and attitudes displayed in Acts 5?
– Why were some reluctant to join the disciples in Acts 5? (See verse 13). Does this still apply today? Explain.
– In Acts 5:29, Peter and the apostles say that they must “obey God and not any human authority.”
— Do you agree or disagree? Explain
— How do you tell the difference between what God would want us to do versus human authority?
— What did this mean for 1st century believers to obey God and not human authority?
— Is this still an issue for believers today? How so?
– Do you think Acts 5:38-39 validates the Christian faith as truth? Why or why not?
Taking It Home
– The early church in Acts grew rapidly. Why do you think the Disciples’ faith was so contagious?
– What would it take for our faith to become just as contagious?
– What would it take for you to have the same boldness expressed by the Disciples (see Acts 5:26-33)?
– What convinced (or convinces) you that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God? How can you share that with others?
– Jesus tells the Disciples (John 20:21) that as Jesus has been sent from the Father, so we are being sent. What does that mean in your life?
- Why Didn’t the Disciples Always Recognize Jesus After His Resurrection? From gotquestions.org
- Resurrection: Hoax or History? From answers2prayer.org
- The Sequence of Jesus’ Post-Resurrection Appearances, by Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell
- The Boldness of Peter and John, by Dan King
The Disciples got stopped from following Jesus as our sermon text opens. So… what stops you from following God?