WordServe Church Study Guide for April 26, 2015
- Sermon Title: “The New Relationship” (Dr. Nolan Donald)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: John 21:1-14
- Additional Study Texts: Luke 5:1-11
– What’s one thing from Sunday’s message that you hope the group talks about?
– Have you ever felt like Jesus was telling you to do something that you didn’t agree with? Describe the situation and how you felt:
Read John 21:1-14 and Luke 5:1-11
– Compare and contrast these two “fishing expeditions.”
– Do you think they are describing the same incident? Why or why not?
– Why are the disciples in Galilee? What does it say about them when they’d been given a mission but decided to go fishing?
– In both cases, Jesus’ advice seems to make no sense to the “professionals,” yet it is very productive.
— What does this say about Jesus?
— What does this say about the disciples?
— What does this say about us (as “modern professionals?”)?
– Why does John take time to describe the breakfast between Jesus and his Disciples? (See John 21:9-13).
– What other examples can you find in Scripture where Jesus gives counterintuitive advice that turns into success? Are there things in common with these incidents? Describe:
Taking It Home
– Where has Jesus (or Scripture) told you something counterintuitive?
— Did you follow the advice? Describe your experience.
— Did you not follow the advice? What held you back?
– What would your life look like if you radically followed Jesus’ advice, especially the counterintuitive parts?
— What would be some of the challenges you would face?
— What would be some of the rewards?
- Life of Christ Devotional, John 21:1-14, by Todd Cepica
- Time for Multiplication – Cast Your Nets to the Other Side, by Andy Huddleston
Here’s an interesting thought on Jesus’ actions in the sermon text. Of all the responses Jesus COULD have had to disciples who weren’t fulfilling the mission, he chose the response that would ultimately get the results needed. He chose hospitality!