WordServe Church Study Guide for May 3, 2015
- Sermon Title: “Life to the Full” (Dr. Nolan Donald)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: John 21:15-25
- Additional Study Texts: Acts 11:1-18 and Galatians 2:11-21
– Was there any one thing that you most agreed with or disagreed with from Sunday’s message? What was it and why?
– Have you ever felt that you let Jesus down? Describe:
Review John 21:15-25
– Describe Jesus’ conversation with Peter: what is Jesus doing in this conversation?
– Of all the things Jesus could have asked Peter, why do you think Jesus asks if Peter loves him? Why three times?
– What did Peter have to overcome in order to serve Jesus? And what did Peter have to accept in order to serve Jesus?
Read Acts 11:1-18 and Galatians 2:11-21
Compare and Contrast Peter’s leadership in these two passages:
– What are the issues being addressed?
– Why are these issues significant to the church?
– Describe Peter’s “way of being” as he is successful (what does he do? What does he say? What does he seek?)
– Describe Peter’s “way of being” as he is unsuccessful (what does he do? What does he say? What does he seek?)
– Describe Paul’s “way of being” as he addresses his issues with Peter (what he does, says, and seeks):
Taking It Home
– Looking back on our two case studies above, what can we learn as the modern church from these examples?
– What can we learn from Paul in the Galatians example?
– What issue(s) would a modern-day Paul address in the church? What would that look like today?
– Think back to your experience in the “Getting Started” block. What would you have to overcome to fully live in Jesus?
– What would you have to accept to fully live in Jesus?
– What’s your next step in living more fully in Christ? Share with a trusted friend and ask for help if you need it!
- What Should We Learn from the Life of Peter? at gotquestions.org.
- Why Did Jesus Ask Peter, “Do You Love Me?” Three Times? at gotquestions.org
- Simon Peter, Do You Love Me? at Grace to You
Do You Love Jesus?