WordServe Church Study Guide for May 10, 2015
- Sermon Title: “The Submitted Life” (Dr. Nolan Donald)
- Audio Link (check HERE on Sunday afternoon for the latest sermon)
- Sermon Scripture: Ephesians 5:21-6:9
- Additional Study Texts: Matt 26:36-46, Acts 9:1-20, Esther 4:8-17
– As you reflect on Sunday’s message, what one principle or insight stands out as being particularly helpful, insightful, or difficult to grasp?
– What is your reaction to the word, “Submission?” Where does this reaction come from?
Read Ephesians 5:21-6:9
– What is Paul’s objective in writing this passage?
– Do you see evidence of “fruit” in this passage? If so, describe:
– List the different relationships in this passage and describe how submission in them could promote growth and maturity.
– Use the same list and describe how submission in these relationships could inhibit growth and maturity.
– Take at least one of these examples from Scripture and describe how submission produced fruit for God’s Kingdom:
- Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane (Matt 26:36-46)
- Ananias goes to Saul/Paul (Acts 9:1-20)
- Esther stands up to the King (Esther 4:8-17)
– What were the risks in submitting?
– What were the rewards in submitting?
– What common elements do you see in these stories that helps you define what Godly submission looks like?
Taking It Home
– Has this study altered your view of submission? (See “Getting Started.”) If so, how?
– How can we ensure that our submission is a healthy, God-glorifying experience?
– Where do you feel God is calling you to submit in your life?
– What challenges or risks are you facing with that situation?
– How can your group help you in this situation? Ask for help, prayer, support… then keep the group updated!
- How does this apply to marriage? Christian Life and Marriage, from Grace Communion International
- Here’s a question every has: “Does a Wife Have to Submit to Her Husband?” at got questions.org
What good articles, blogs, or videos do you have regarding Biblical submission?